The Downeast Salmon Federation (DSF) and the Alewife Harvesters of Maine (AHM) are jointly funding a full time position to support our campaign to monitor and restore diadromous fish populations in Maine and to assist harvesters in assessing and planning for annual and future needs. This campaign will help develop and model co-management and local monitoring best practices for all diadromous fish species in Maine.
DSF’s mission is to conserve wild Atlantic salmon, other sea-run fish and their habitats, restore a viable sports salmon fishery, and protect other important river, scenic, recreational, and ecological resources in eastern Maine. AHM’s mission is to conserve alewives and preserve the river fishing heritage of Maine.
The position will be based out of DSF’s offices in Columbia Falls and East Machias, however this position requires travel along the entire coast, including occasional extended stays in Southern and Mid-coast Maine. The successful candidate will work with DSF staff and citizen-science volunteers and with AHM members and volunteers as fish runs and events require.
Daily activities vary by season but include:
- conducting river herring and smelt population studies
- traveling to active harvest sites along the Maine coast
- promoting sustainably managed alewife runs as a part of the Maine economy and culture
- communicating with local and state governments
- developing a stronger market for alewives by coordinating with local distributors
Other roles include:
- support for partner organizations
- staffing DSF outreach events
- organizing and staffing at the annual Fisherman’s Forum
- experienced in field biology and/or commercial fisheries
- highly organized
- comfortable working in the outdoors during inclement weather
- a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle
- able to work with people from all walks of life
- strong computer, data management, and social media skills
- a basic mechanical/technical competency
Position start date: ASAP
The position is full time, 40 hours/week.
Please send resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Brett Ciccotelli, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Downeast Salmon Federation is an equal opportunity employer.